State clears LAPD officers in the fatal shooting of man on Hollywood Boulevard
In a letter dated June 3 and sent to Police Chief Charlie Beck, Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa cleared LAPD officers, including then-LAPD Officer Christopher Dorner in the fatal shooting of Oscar Grant, calling the shooting “a tragedy on many levels.”
On Tuesday afternoon, Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck said Dorner had been charged with multiple counts of murder and attempted murder after a federal lawsuit was filed on behalf of Grant’s mother, Katherine Grant, who is seeking $5 million in damages for the shooting.
The officers had been working a crime scene in the area of Highland and Vine — where Grant was shot and killed on Tuesday morning.
“He came in and said he was going to wait for the cops to do the search and he told me to clear out of there,” Beck said. “He had a long gun and we were clearing out — it seemed like forever and he was gone.”
In a statement, Grant’s family said Dorner was not an employee, but rather a former neighbor who lived in the apartment complex. They said the officers were there to investigate a possible burglary.
“We are committed to ensuring that the LAPD fully investigates the incident and holds those who are responsible accountable,” Beck said.
He added the investigation was ongoing and that no final decisions had been made regarding how many officers would be disciplined.
Police had no indication that Grant had any active warrants at the time he was killed.
Grant, an aspiring actor from Los Angeles County, was 27. He had just celebrated his 27th birthday, and had been working as a film critic for the Los Angeles Times.
Police said Grant’s slaying began at about 8 am at an AT&T store on the 900 block of East Highland Avenue, and officers on the scene began to look at the store’s security camera, which captured footage of Grant walking into the store.
Police said a woman later identified her son as their suspect.