Rafael Nadal withdraws from Laver Cup due to ‘personal reasons’
by John McEnroe, Rafa Nadal
Rafael Nadal withdrew from the Laver Cup due to personal reasons. Photo: AP
Rafael Nadal has withdrawn from the Laver Cup, scheduled for Sunday in Cincinnati, because of “personal reasons”.
The Spaniard confirmed to the Spanish newspaper Marca he will not play in the tournament, which begins Thursday, but did not specify why.
“I prefer to communicate only the truth,” the five-time tournament winner wrote on a message on his Facebook page.
The ATP Tour confirmed via email to its media partners that Nadal had withdrawn but did not give a reason for the decision. “This is the decision of Rafael Nadal,” the email from the tournament organisers said.
Nadal’s withdrawal is a significant blow to his ambitions of a second Laver Cup in succession. In 2007 he successfully defended his title, becoming the first Spaniard to win an individual tournament on the ATP tour. He was seeded second in Cincinnati and reached the second round, but lost to Robin Soderling.
In 2009 he was seeded fourth for Toronto but fell at the first hurdle to Andy Roddick.
Nadal has won one other major singles title, the 2006 French Open. “I’m leaving on a high note,” he said in his email. “I don’t forget how it feels to win, but the reason why I couldn’t play in Cincinnati is a personal one. I’m going to concentrate on my preparation.”
Nadal reached the semi-finals of Wimbledon last year. “It was a great experience and I enjoyed every moment of it. But at the moment I can only concentrate on my training.”
Nadal, 39, has won 18 career Grand Slam titles in singles and three on the mixed doubles circuit. He is the world number one in the F2 discipline, and is ranked fourth in the world in the ATP rankings.
Nadal has now lost his past 14 meetings with Roddick in the past two years – 13 at Grand Slam level – and 11 of those were in Grand Slams. Nadal’s loss in Toronto last year, when the Australian defeated him in straight sets, was the only time his opponent